Sunday, March 7, 2010

Delight and Misery-reasons to breathe.


" To be born is to be exposed to delights and miseries greater than imagination could have anticipated; that the choice of ways at any cross-road may be more important than we think; and that short cuts may lead to very nasty places." C.S.Lewis upon writing about John Bunyan

What a delicious piece, yes? I obviously have been enjoying Mr. Lewis a bit much this weekend, but I can't say I regret a minute of it. God blessed some writers with a grasp of language that literally reaches off the page and grabs your arm...like a comforting confidante or a terrifying stranger. I try to remind my kids that what they read will leave an imprint on their hearts...oh, how I wish I could be sure they listen. :) Imaginations...thank you, Lord for that. How else could we get thorough some days with a smile?

The cherry and plum trees are in full force and doing me good. It is like a promise- that a new day is coming and the world will blossom again...maybe right before my eyes! Every year it surprises me, and I don't understand why. I know this sidewalk or trail. I know this old tree- yet as I round a bend, the flowering trees still surprise me and take my breath away.

Talk a walk, friend. Enjoy the glory of our early blooming things and know that Jesus is so in love with you. Set the misery of yesterday aside for a moment, and embrace the delight of a new day.

" Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. Our God is a God who saves..." Psalm 68:19-20
You think He means only salvation from death? Or war? I doubt it. I know that the Creator of Imagination means He can and does save us from monotony, dreariness, heartbreak, passivity and even insignificance. Hallelujah!

No comments: