Thursday, January 29, 2015

So much taken for granted...

(I might miss working downtown. Just a little. )

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter, and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

This has been the week of reminders. Every time I turn around it seems, I am reminded how much I have- and how much I take for granted. Not only the material comforts, but even the simple things like breathing and a healthy, beating heart.

I go to work, I am reminded of those who have had tragic accidents or born with deformities that now require complete lifestyle modifications and constant pain and medical care. Just the ability to walk is a gift.

I look out the window and can enjoy the colors of a sunrise and the flag of my country flying freely. Just the feeling of safety is a gift.

I see my husband and can talk with him or argue with him or laugh with him. Just the fact that he is here and I can love him is a gift.

I watch my grown up kids living life and taking everything for granted like most young, suburbanite people do. Just the privilege of being born American is a gift.

Yes. I watched the movie American Sniper and this started from what I saw. It was one of the saddest and best movies I have ever seen. The evil and the honor- the sacrifice of not just one man, but the sacrifice of a family, of a team...of an entire nation.

I love America. I love being an American. But more than anything, the patriotism I saw reminded me of the study I just finished in Hebrews. Throughout the book I kept seeing Jesus- the Patriot of Heaven, in a way. The sacrifice of all time- giving everything to fix EVERYTHING. Pick up your bible and just cruise the pages of Hebrews. The path he cleared. The door he opened. For every single person, from every tribe and nation- not just mine.

"...He has appeared once for all...to do away with sin by the sacrifice of Himself. Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgement, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and He will appear a second time...to bring salvation to those who are waiting for Him." Hebrews 9:26-28

Oh, Lord. What words, what a promise. Bless America. But not only that. Bless this WORLD with wisdom and understanding. Give them the Good News, Father. And let me not continue to take it for granted. The sacrifice. The undeserved grace and blessing.

"Now may the God of peace...equip you with everything good for doing His will...to whom be glory for ever and ever....Grace be with you all." Hebrews 13: 20-25

No comments: