Saturday, January 30, 2010

To spend a morning with Jane and her friends...


"There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort." Jane Austen

It is a delicious morning to wake up to a quiet house, with a quiet Lord, and know that the whole day is free to enjoy whatever way you would like. I decided to spend it with my dear Jane, Mr. Darcy, Elizabeth and all the Bennetts. I don't know why all her stories bring me such a comfort after sad days. From Northanger Abbey to Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion to Emma, sometimes reading the struggles and heartbreaks of her characters and seeing them come out on the other end...happy...makes life a bit more bearable. Our concerns can seem silly and superficial sometimes, and life or death other times...but really, it all comes out in the end just the way it should- happily ever after thanks to Jesus. Thanks to a merciful and gracious Father who carries us when we want to quit, and comforts us when we just want to cry.

Today I walked along the beautiful moors of Derbyshire, ran through the woods around Pemberley, and thoroughly enjoyed pretending I lived a few hundred years ago, when my greatest concern was who I would marry. I wouldn't know where Haiti was or have any idea of the suffering outside of my own neighborhood. No outside forces could steal my children's hearts as easily as the Internet, cable and school try to. And instead of the distractions of modern life (even blogging), I would play in my garden, work hard in my kitchen, and have the sounds of God's creation all around me everyday...without having to put "down time" on my calendar.

It's nice to pretend once in awhile. Now back to the real world...the one that needs us.

"Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Revelation 21:3-4

No comments: