Thursday, March 29, 2012

Right when I want to stop the Zone...

A short hiatus from technology has been quite nice. For us, it probably can never be completely removed, but the last month gave me a lot more time for other things as I just did email, Facebook, etc for the necessary- and very little else. It's nice to recognize how little I missed, and yet it's good to be back.
Another month of changes, birthdays, deaths, and walking through life together has passed and I am so thankful for all that God is doing in our world to set our eyes on Him. Spending the last month reading through the gospels has been a great preparation for Easter- and I am more thoroughly convinced than ever that the Resurrection has the ability to transform all of us- from the inside out. Every time I read this, I just grin. Imagine what that feels like, "heart burning within". I can't read a word that Jesus said that doesn't make me crave more, to know His voice, to see His face, to learn His ways. Ahhh...heaven would be wonderful for the single fact that I can ask God all those things and actually understand it clearly. But even then, I know it will be so much MORE.
My motivation to post today was from a question one of our Middle Schooler's put in the "Question Box". At the after school program I work at, the kids can put anonymous questions in a box, and the staff promises to answer them honestly, and often- with humor. Most of our questions range in the silly category- "Why does S have such long hair?", "If you were a tree, what would you be?", etc. But some are questions about God, about life, about friendships. Yesterday we got one that broke my heart, because I can only imagine the hurt that inspired it: "If God is so powerful, why does He let Satan do so many bad things?" Ugh. Knife to the stomach, right? Our Youth Director did a fantastic job explaining what the Bible says about God, Satan, and suffering. I just prayed that the little person who asked the question heard those words, and God opened up their understanding. Whether the cause of our suffering is providence, our own sin, or supernatural enemies- I don't think there is a person alive who hasn't asked the question "why do we have to hurt?". You don't have to live very long to feel the sharp sting of consequences for sin, whether Original Sin- that we are born into since the Fall of Adam and Eve; or sin that we did, or the effects of someone else's sin that hurts us to the core.
I woke up today wishing I could wrap that little teen up in my arms and let them know that in all of it, God IS powerful, He will right the wrongs, and He is, right now- holding her up. I think about all that Jesus did when he died to save us, and then didn't stay dead but rose from the grave VICTORIOUS- so that someday, all suffering will be forever gone for those who choose Him. Oh, Lord- make that REAL to our kids, make it REAL to us.

We talked about this verse a lot at TAG this week, and it just keeps coming to mind for that other little teen. While she is questioning God's power to protect and save, I so hope she finds the truth of this verse- sometimes, it's OK to be weak, to hurt. Because it's then that we grow. ♥

"Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me...But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:8-10
(Pictures are just a glimpse of the last month. The Zone, high school dances, fun times. God is good. ALL the time.And needless to say, I learn more at the Zone the kids do. No quitting for me!)

1 comment:

Kaitlynn Marie said...

Good to have you back :)