Saturday, March 9, 2013

A Little Bit...


("Why, yes...I do know how to whistle.")

I love this sunshine. A little bit.
I love seeing my son laugh with his friends when he watches the NBA. A little bit.
I love seeing my daughter become an amazing mother. A little bit.
I love the fact that no matter how confused or anxious I feel any given day, God never fails me.
Not even a little bit.

2 weeks of having the title "Grandma". I still just say, "You have got to be kidding me." Grandma. Not yet 40 years old. Something is wrong with this picture. But as I hold this little Bee and kiss her chubby cheeks, and laugh at her silly sounds, and take pictures of her funny faces...everything feels just fine.
(Precious hospital photo- but sooo expensive!)
I was reading in Hosea and got stuck in chapter 11. The author is speaking of the early years of Israel, and how he dealt with them lovingly, as a father with his son. And yet, they turned away from Him. When I read the words in verse 4 I was reminded of God's character. And it made me want to be more like Him (Check out this chapter, it's amazing!)
"I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love. To them I was like one who lifts a little child to the cheek, and I bent down to feed them." Hosea 11:4
("My mama thinks I'm too cold. I'm not...")

As I try to live with the people around me, I am so thankful for the wisdom of God in this world. Even people who do good things without knowing Jesus, only do them because God showed them GOODNESS somewhere in their lives. To lead "with cords of kindness, with ties of love" sometimes feels impossible. Until you look up. 

There are days I want to be bitter. Bitter over lost opportunities and dreams. Bitter from hurts that still sting. I want to kick people in the shins actually. A lot of the time. I think of the hurtful words, the cruel looks, or worse- the silent treatment we have all experienced at some time or another. And then I remember what kind of God we have. And the kind of life He calls us to. 
(Best baby in the world right there!!)
  Hosea 11 goes on to talk about the iniquity of Israel for a minute, bu then it turns right back to the character of God. Here's some bits. Sooo good:
"How can I give you up, Ephraim?
    How can I hand you over, Israel...
My heart is changed within me;
    all my compassion is aroused.
 I will not carry out my fierce anger...
For I am God, and not a man—
    the Holy One among you.
They will follow the Lord;
    he will roar like a lion.
When he roars,
  his children will come trembling from the west. "

I want my heart "changed within me". I want to allow my "compassion to be aroused". I want to love those who are unlovable as much as I love this little baby Bee lying next to me. Our God is one who has the RIGHT to be angry because of how rotten we are. And yet, He chooses to call us out and hold us close. Oh, that makes me happy. That makes it possible to love my peeps even better and be kind to those who don't deserve it either. 
("It's how I roll.")
Thank you, Lord- for being the God who will not "give up" on His children. Thank you for showing us your ways and loving us...in spite of us.  

No comments: