Saturday, November 7, 2009

Veteran's Day Parade in the Northwest...great idea.


I was severely traumatized this morning as I tried to use my favorite body lotion. It is the brand I first discovered in Arizona, a wonderful blend of coco-butter, aloe, coconut and something else. But the SMELL. Oh, the smell makes me think of sunshine and warmth, suntans and tank tops. Nearly brought me to tears...considering the 50 degree temperature out my door and the raindrops splattering on the windows. :) A season for everything...This is a day that I just knew I should have stayed in bed.

But, now that I am done whining I will admit that I had a great God Stop today. Jordan's band was scheduled to march in the Veteran's Day Parade (Veteran's Day is this Wednesday if you didn't remember)so we all bundled up and met my family in downtown to show our support. Not only did I get to cheer for my sweet boy and see him rock his solo- but I also had the privilege to cheer and wave at men and woman who have blessed our country with their service. From the little Young Marines who were marching out of respect; to the crinkled, bow- backed old men who rode in the decorated vans...there wasn't one that went past that didn't remind me of my Dad. My whole life, Dad wore a green flight suit and leather bomber when he went to work, and I remember being a little in awe of this big man who shouldered all my worries. As I grew older, I learned that my big Dad was just a man, who was learning and making his way through this crazy life just like the rest of us. But I never stopped being amazed by him. By his stories and the look on his face sometimes...knowing that he had seen and done things that I could only imagine. It's strange to look at your parents and know they had a whole other life before you became the center of it. :) My dad was 31 when I was born, and sometimes I wonder what kind of man he was before that. I still feel the same way I did when I was six. My Daddy is the biggest, bravest, kindest and strongest daddy in the whole world.

Thank you to all the Dads out there that have put on the uniform and fought the good fight to give us an America we can be proud of. A land of the free, and the home of the brave. God bless America. (And most importantly, thank you for protecting us so well that I can be traumatized by my wonderful lotion on a cold Saturday morning. There is a whole lot worse that could of happened to me.:)

(This is the way we celebrate a parade in the rainy Northwest...)

No comments: