Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Seriously, people?

All I can say is WOW. Seriously? I was walking through Target today on a mission...but then my mission got diverted in the "book department". Oops. Nothing I had to have, but I did stop to read a bit of the new book by Rhonda Byrne called "The Power". This is the follow up to her other lame book called, "The Secret". (I call it The Secret Load of C#*$, but that's just me. :)

I have a feeling that like her other book this one is going to be read nationwide so I thought you might actually like to read a biblical minded reviewer's thoughts. Here's the link:
http://www.challies.com/book-reviews/book-review-the-power

This really frustrated me today because I know this idea is rampant in our society and it is so sad. The premise of The Secret was basically that you could affect/cause the things you want to happen through positive thoughts. The author calls it the "law of attraction". How she has the right to make up laws of the natural world is beyond me- considering she doesn't have a PHD behind her name or any experience AT ALL in physics, chemistry or biology. But hey- that's just me. The Power is what drives "the Secret"- the force behind getting everything you want. And she defines that as LOVE.
Here's a quote from her book:
"If you believe that your body will deteriorate with age and that disease is inevitable, you are giving out that belief, and the law of attraction must return it to you clothed as the circumstances and state of your body and health.” WOW! Now we know the true secret to living forever! I am not making this up. This is what our buddies Oprah and Ellen are toting as a must have!

So if I want to fix the starter on my truck, I just need to LOVE that starter until it starts working again? Hmmmm...in reality though, here is a clip from Tim Challis article that shows the devastating world view this kind of thinking can develop:
"What happens when bad things come? We have nowhere to go but introspection; no one to blame but ourselves... I read recently of the systemic rape in an African nation—thousands of women raped, many of them repeatedly, as soldiers march through their land, are chased out, and return again. It’s horrifying and nauseating. And the law of attraction can explain it only by saying that these women brought about their own rape by thinking negative thoughts. They were afraid of rape and therefore they were raped. When the armies of drugged-out, terrorized young boys came marching through their land, these women felt fear and negativity and brought rape upon themselves. Do you really want to believe this? Unbelievably, Byrne even quotes the book of Job as she goes. Job! Didn’t she read to the end? How on earth could an honest reading of Job do anything but convince people of the folly of her brand of reasoning."

So if you are single, it's your fault. If you are poor, it's your fault. If you got cancer, it's your fault. If your daughter died last night in a car crash, it's your fault. If ONLY you had thought 51% more positively, none of that would have happen. ARGH! How dare someone write this, and how dare someone else PUBLISH IT!

Ok, I am done- I'll behave. Needless to say, I didn't plunk down my 20 dollars for this waste of paper. But I did fume over it for a bit and then went back to my Bible to remind myself of the truth. Sorry the sarcasm is coming out in my post...I am still working on it. ;) But I pray that you take the time to read the complete review and educate yourself on what your friends and neighbors might be reading. If the topic comes up, it's nice to know some reasons why you DON'T want to borrow it. And maybe a few responses of why they should borrow your Bible! Ok- for real this time, done being a brat... Stay away from Target...especially the book department.... :)

"The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God. As the Scriptures say,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise
and discard the intelligence of the intelligent.”

So where does this leave the philosophers, the scholars, and the world’s brilliant debaters? God has made the wisdom of this world look foolish. " 1 Corinthians 1: 18-20

No comments: