Saturday, April 9, 2011

11 days old and going strong!


(Minutes old)
What a crazy month we have had! I almost feel like I have been on a roller coaster ride everything has been so fast and furious. Right now- if I could just get right side up, I think I might be alright! We spent the last two weeks of March on "foal" watch, as Jazz mare was showing all the signs of impending labor. Praise the Lord, we had a healthy filly at 10:27 pm on March 29, 2011. We just had one false alarm, and as we hunkered down for another night of sleeping in the barn- Rosie delivered!

(12 hours old)
My biggest concern for my sweet girl is that she had contracted tendons at birth and what appears to be a goiter. The vet thought it might be a blocked salivary gland, but this lump is not painful to the touch, or enlarging in any way. Hypothyroidism also can cause contracted tendons- so either mama was too fat, too long in gestation, or baby really does have an underactive gland. The vet comes out again this week to check her out.

(1 day old)
I was just continually amazed at how fast she is growing. One other thing Dr. Johnson said was her tendons would stretch on their own, with exercise and time. I felt like I saw them straightening by the hour!

(1 week old)
This whole adventure has been stressful, but so worth it. Steve adores the little girl, so it looks like we will keep her. Which is best if she is going to have some soundness challenges, but I am just praying like crazy God works all the kinks out so that Cassie has a healthy future. For a horse, usability is truly the key to preventing neglect and abuse.
I know that I have a big God who cares even about the littlest of His creatures. Lord, just use us and give us wisdom as we navigate this new adventure. Help us, help Cassie.
""Do you give the horse his might?
Do you clothe his neck with a mane?
Do you make him leap like the locust?
His majestic snorting is terrible.
He paws in the valley, and rejoices in his strength;
He goes out to meet the weapons.
He laughs at fear and is not dismayed;
And he does not turn back from the sword.
The quiver rattles against him,
The flashing spear and javelin.
With shaking and rage he races over the ground,
And he does not stand still at the voice of the trumpet.
As often as the trumpet sounds he says, 'Aha!" Job 39:19-25
(Yeah, we are just a little horse crazy around here!)

2 comments:

Kaitlynn Marie said...

Precious!! :) Congrats on a new addition to the family :)

Abigail said...

I want to meet her SO bad! I miss riding so much! She looks like so precious!:)