Monday, July 25, 2011

To have "courage"...


"Courage is not simply ONE of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point..." -C. S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis is kind of amazing. In the best times, it doesn't take any effort at all to get up, go to work, love your family, give and serve and laugh. In the worst of times- all our best qualities seem so much harder to show, and it truly takes COURAGE just to get out of bed and face the world. It takes courage to love those who won't love us back. It takes courage to want to make a difference in a world that doesn't seem to care. It takes courage to be patient in anxiety, loving in anger, faithful in despair..the list goes on doesn't it?

I had a wonderful talk with my son thanks to John Mayer of all people. We both love his song "Waiting on the World to Change", hate his ridiculous political agenda and laugh every time we see his picture- his voice should belong to a beautiful, old black man but instead we get JOHN.

Anyways, the way Mr. Mayer hooked us up was with the topic of "changing the world". To have the opportunity to hear a little of my Man Child's heart, and to realize I need to PRAY for him to truly- have the courage to change his world. To have the COURAGE to not be complacent, live bigger and make a difference, even if no one is watching. We heard a wonderful sermon on Sunday about courage as well, and it reminded me of this quote from Abraham Lincoln:
"You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man's initiative and independence."

If I want my Jordan to live courageously- am I giving him opportunities to develop "initiative and independence"? As a total "helicopter mom" who hovers and controls EVERYTHING, I don't know that I have. :( But I want to change that. My son is absolutely amazing, and instead of praying that he just doesn't screw up his life- I want to actively be praying that he grows in his passion and love of Christ. That he would stand COURAGEOUSLY for something he believes in, and oh- may he believe BEST in You, Lord!!

So thank you, John Mayer, in spite of the fact that I can't stand you. Thanks for bringing an opportunity to talk with my son about things that matter not just for this world, but for eternity.

"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love." 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

2 comments:

AllTheKingsBlessings said...

LOVE this, Renee! I love your heart for God and for your family. (And for other people!) I need to make sure I'm praying this for my peeps too! Love you.

Doanz said...

Thanks, Mar! You and your beautiful brood have always inspired me. Families are a wonderful blessing from God, yes? <3