Monday, September 12, 2011

Eye-opening...


What a first week of school! High school is going to be interesting this year, just sayin'.

My man-child really floored me this week with his outlook on life, his attitude, and things I never knew about him. He is trying so much harder at school, which is awesome. Trying harder means he is actually going to turn in his assignments this year. Hurray!

His attitude has gotten better in so many areas, which mean he says "that's just terrible" only 1/3 of the time. Man, I love this guy. He is seriously one of the funniest people I know.

What I didn't know about him is how much he avoids conflict and addressing serious issues. He is usually so dogmatic about things, and I have never known him to not speak his mind, it shocked me to see his discomfort and the "deer in the headlights" look regarding some issues that needed to be discussed. Is the avoidance a guy thing? Maybe. Is it a self defense thing from having a mother who thinks you need to "de-brief" after going to the bathroom? Possibly. Or is he just wired to seek peace even if it means faking things are o.k.? I don't know but he surprised me with his reaction. In spite of it all, it was seriously the best conversation we have ever had. I am so thankful for that.

If you don't know my guy, you are missing out. He's hilarious, and smart and fun. You can catch him with a smirk often, which means he is probably remembering a great joke. He MIGHT share it, depending on if it's appropriate or not. If he deems it's not, he will just keep smirking. He works really hard, and to be honest- if I want something done right at home, I ask him. Things just look nicer if he's done it.

Listening to his heart the other night was so good. We were able to work through so many things, find the evidence that he needed to believe the truths God gives him, and debunk the lies he has been allowing to filter into his mind. He showed courage by choosing to tell a good friend the truth and take a step towards healing. Oh, how proud I am of him. God, do a good work in him- let these truths sit in his heart and change him from the inside. Protect him and fight for him, Lord...and make sure he passes 11th grade! ;)

My mama's prayer:
"How can a young man keep his way pure?
By living according to your word.
(May he) seek you with all (his) heart;
do not let (him) stray from your commands.
(May he hide)your word in (his) heart
that (he) might not sin against you." Psalm 119:9-11