Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Make it happen, Lord.

The over protection of American children is getting ridiculous. And I am guilty of it too. The more I read about it, the more I cringe to realize the damage we are doing, and the "emasculating" that is occuring in our wonderful country- under the pretense of love and good parenting.
So I am on a mission to find out what things I can change, what I can let go of, how I have been stifling my children's curiosity and courage, and praying that God would change me now before I completely ruin them. :) Well, not really- but the last few weeks I have been thinking about it a lot, and know it is time to make a change. Studies have shown that hyper, over-protective moms tend to raise anxious, fearful kids, and that stinks. We don't let our children play on safe streets because we fear kidnapping, their coach yells at them and we hold a "meeting", they forget their lunch money, and we zoom to McDonalds to cover their butts- rather than letting them feel the consequences and learn.
"Ultimately, kids need to learn how to fly, and we must ask: Just how strong can their wings get when they're never allowed to use them?" Paul Coughlin

No comments: