Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The road to Financial Peace isn't easy!



Thinking about our new life on Mr. Dave Ramsey's budget, and thought I should update. I still think it is one of the best things that has happened to us in the last year. There really is freedom in finally taking control of our money, and it has opened up communication doors Steve and I didn't even know were there. That part has been great, and our marriage has grown in such a neat way.
But as the weeks go by, and the bills pile up, it is so hard to stick to this plan. I liked it better when I could pay for things with credit, or with the "knowledge" of my paycheck at the end of the week, rather than having to wait until it is actually in the bank and each dollar has been spent on paper, the BUDGET. When you can't take care of things on credit anymore, or finance the stuff that you "need", you finally realize how short your paycheck comes every month! I don't know how we did it all these years, just making it up as we went along. It has been a great thing, to be working the plan and moving forward, but it is also really hard too. Each time Steve and I sit down to see what else needs to go, we realize how many luxuries we have called necessities. Even cell phones, pets and fast food. I can justify it all! But if we are honest, we know that these are things that are convenient but not "necessary" for daily life. And when you have dug yourself in a hole and are wanting out, conveniences have got to go!

That is the toughest part for me now, it's not tempting to overspend at Costco, or go out to eat without cash from the "entertainment envelope". What's tough is looking at my life and weeding out the wastes that we still have. If I truly don't want to work full time, can we continue having horses? That is the saddest, most difficult question. The kids have gotten so busy, and as they hit high school I am sure it will get worse, so if I am honest, I know we have these guys for me. I am the crazy horse lady who can't go a day without hugging one and brushing their manes, sniffing their sweet noses and watching them galloping through a pasture- bucking and rearing. It makes my day, and gives me a laugh no matter what else is going on. Has my faith and relationship with Jesus grown enough to fill the gap that living without horses will leave? Steve thinks so, and I know he is right when he says we need to modify our overhead. Our place is too big, our car too expensive, we have three horses for two riders, three dogs, a cat, and a partridge in a pear tree. (No not really, I was just on a role.) Can we suck it up and do the "right" thing, can we "live like no one else now" so that we can "live like no one else for the rest of our lives"? (Dave Ramsey is all about the quotes.) That is the question that plaques me this morning.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you! You are awesome!! We can do this!