Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Contentment...

Contentment is often a matter of perspective, don't you think? More specifically, I wonder if the way we love the world around us can help us be content, or cause us to become discontented. Sunday really got me thinking about what contentment is and if I have it. I still can't decide. There is a quote out there that says,
"Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but the realization of how much you already have." How often have I felt stressed and harried, but the reason is my life isn't matching up with my PLAN. I am hurrying here or there, running after the prizes that perish and hold no value in the grand scheme of things. The apostle Paul says in Philippians that he has found the "secret" to contentment. If I asked him, what do you think he would say the secret is? I bet you are smiling too- as we both answer, "Jesus"! Now that might seem like a Sunday School answer to you, but if we know that we are in the midst of God's GOOD plan for our lives and truly love Him and His ways, wouldn't we be content? Would we be able to sigh and peacefully say, "Not my will, but yours, Lord" and not shudder with fear or be angry with resentment at the way the "dice fell"? How many times are we "discontented" because we felt wronged or cheated, but if we filtered it through God's love, we would see that there was something even better waiting. Love has a way of changing our view, and satisfying our desires. How many stories have you heard of people who have nothing materially, but love each other so deeply you wish you were them?

J. Vernon McGee shared a story on his program today that made me think of perspective. It went like this, but I added the way I pictured them:
An older man was walking down the street when he saw a little girl carrying a baby. She had her skinny arms wrapped around the chubbiest baby, the little boy could have outweighed her, his entire forty pounds was mostly carried in his round cheeks. The man stopped her and said, "Little girl, isn't that baby too heavy for you?" She smiled her best smile and said, "No, sir, he's my brother." The burden of love makes it no burden at all". (Can you hear Mr McGee's nice drawl say "at all", and "dearly beloved"? I love it.)

To that little girl, this weight could never be a burden- it was HER brother. How many things in our lives would cease to be a burden if we would look at them from the perspective of love?
God be with you today...and may we all be content in plenty or in want.

(This is Iris's newest half sister- Aerro. She is beautiful!)

No comments: