Thursday, June 11, 2009

"Sunshine is overrated"


A friend of mine emailed me today with that sentence in the subject line. Now, you all know my love affair with the sun, so it definitely got my attention. I opened the mail to see some wonderfully encouraging words that I so needed. My mood is literally ATTACHED to the weather, and she was gently reminding me to become more attached to the "Sonshine" that is available even on the darkest days. How did this girlie that I haven't seen or talked to in weeks know that I needed that? There have been so many "God Stops" this month, yet I couldn't seem to get ahead of those stinkin' feelings all week. Feeling discouraged, overwhelmed, trying so hard to be content in all things, but that is so much harder when you can't just be by yourself all the time. :)Which just made me more depressed, to know that in spite of all the reasons I had to thank God for my blessings and praise Him, I was still a whiner down deep.

It reminded me of something someone said once, in this video bible study- about darkness and light. It generally said- Have you ever noticed that when you open a closet door, you can see what ever you need just from the light of the hallway? The light from the room spills into the closet, brightening up everything in it. Yet, the darkness that was in the closet doesn't spill out and take over the room. I have been locked in many a closets (don't ask), and sometimes it is so dark in there, you can't even see your hand in front of your face. Why doesn't that thick, pitch black dark block out the light from the hall? That's when the speaker said, Darkness is just the ABSENCE of light, not something tangible in itself. It was a very cool presentation metaphorically because it reminded me to stop focusing on the darkness. It has no strength or resource- as long as I "carry my light", I don't have to live in shadows.

This week I have been looking at the "clouds" and reminding myself of my shortcomings, rather than looking at the "Son" and remembering His presence in me. I am never going to be perfect, but thank God He is. It doesn't matter if I get off track on my diet, my goals for work, my attitude towards my husband- as long as I don't stay there- in the closet. "Let some light in, girlfriend!" Is that why God sent me that email through my friend? I love to think so.
I don't function so well when I am tired, and having slept only a few hours a night, I could tell my crabbiness was catching up to me. Then the dreary, muggy days. But oh, what a friend we have in Jesus. He knows just what to send and when to send it. I hope He sends you a friend to lift your spirits tomorrow, or a smile when you need it- just to remind you that He is thinking about you.

"The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world." John 1:9

No comments: