Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Why it's worth it....


Why does it have to be so horribly difficult, but so wonderful at the same time- watching your children grow? My Jasmine is moving so fast, I feel like if I turn my head away for a second, I am going to miss something amazing. She is my little woman now, and last night just reaffirmed that. We were driving home from TAG, and chatting with her in the car, laughing our heads off because she was so hyper, I realized how few nights we have left of that. She is able to understand, and evaluate things now that she didn't get even 6 months ago. It's wonderful to see what an awesome person she is growing in to, but so hard for me too. I remember those chubby cheeks, and the little girl who said she would never grow up, who wanted nothing better than her mama's lap and a warm blanket. When we lived in Arizona, she would often remark how much she missed cold, rainy days- simply because they gave us an excuse to do nothing and cuddle up on the couch together. It doesn't help that I sat around watching old home videos- laughing and crying at the stupidity of myself. How much I took for granted while I was in it- busy raising toddlers, chasing down preschoolers, educating my school aged children. Who cares about the 3 R's I should have said- let's just go play! Now, when I see them sitting in their classes at school, and being way ahead of the course work, I kind of wish I hadn't pushed them as hard, and just played more. I know, I am being a sentimental goob. We have taken way too many "Jordan days" over the years, played our hearts out, and I don't have any regrets as to our choices over the last 10 years, but I can't help but be a little sappy today.Thank you, God, for blessing our home with these people, with making it possible for me to stay home all these years, and be active and available every day. No matter what hard stuff we have gone through, it is so awesome to see your kids carefree and loving life, and have them say they have the best family in the world.
My girl is so grown up, and so ready to take this world by storm. And it makes me want to shout out for joy and cry at the same time. Go figure.

" A sweater is a garment worn by a child when his mother feels chilly." -Barbara Johnson

"Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting, with strife." Proverbs 17:1

No comments: