Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!



This holiday gets me pondering every year, and every year I still can't decide what I think about it. There are great arguments on both sides of the Christian discussion- that all things evil should not be part of our celebrations, or this is just an opportunity to have some fun and witness to others. I don't ever feel that the way our family celebrates Halloween is at all evil, but is it appropriate to participate in a holiday that Satan worshippers very clearly revel in? And truly, are Satan worshippers any more dangerous to us than pew-sitters who say all the right things, but their hearts are far from Jesus?
I guess this might be a question God won't answer for me until I get to heaven, and for now, I am going to go with His exhortation- "Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters...Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand...He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone.If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. " Romans 14:1-8 (edited for length)

No comments: