Saturday, February 14, 2009

The enemy of "the best" is not "the worst". The enemy of "the best" is "just fine".


(HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! Give your family a hug and a kiss, and read 1 Corinthians 13. If only we loved like that- what a day we could make this!)

The title is a quote by Dave Ramsey- you will probably be reading lots of his little sayings over the next few days, as I am totally committed to dropping the charade and doing a "total money makeover". It is a terrifying concept, and horribly humbling- but Steve and I feel so strongly that this is one area in our lives that we have never totally given over to God. Why? Because we are "instant gratification" junkies, never learned to balance a checkbook, and pretty much haven't cared because we could always get by- and had enough money to play with. "Tell your money what to do, or the lack of money will tell you what to do for the rest of your life." Ugh! Telling my money what to do means actually making and working a budget, which means I have to actually THINK before I whip out said money! BUT- it will be so worth it.
In every area of our lives, we have always tried to work Elizabeth George's model- "Good, Better, Best". To progress each day of our lives, from simply being saved, to actually being on fire for God and His glory- to bring a smile to my Jesus' face. Her example years ago had been when you first become a Christian, a baby step might be turning off your rap music and turning on Christian music- good. Then you progress to turning off the Christian music and turning on Christian talk radio and learning from great Bible teachers- better. And finally, you might get to the point of turning off the radio all together and spending time with God, whether it is praying, listening, or simply being quiet before His throne- BEST. It makes so much sense to me, the growth process, in other areas of my life, but with money- I have pretty much seen it as a necessary, but hated, tool- but unfortunately I wield it kind of like I wield a chainsaw- "watch out everyone and everything, here I come and I don't know how to use this!". (Side note- you should come see the shrubs and trees I trimmed this week- terrifying- they are all pretty much stumps. I kept messing up, so they kept getting shorter and shorter!)

Anyways, in all things today, don't settle for "just fine". That is not what Jesus designed for you when He gave you His life. He made you a "co-heir" to the very Kingdom of God! Wow, so go for "the best"! And pray for me that we can do this total transformation. We know we need it, we so badly want to change it, but do we have the gumption and self-control to see it through? I will let you know!

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of GOd is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

No comments: