Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sometimes, a change of plans is a good thing.

"Woe to those who go to great depths to hide their plans from the LORD, who do their work in darkness and think, "Who sees us? Who will know?" Isaiah 29:15

I am realizing more and more that it is so much easier to do things the right way the first time. I so desperately want to find a way to teach my kids that staying ON the straight and narrow path is so much easier than trying to find it again after they have taken several detours. I want them to save themselves the heartache of consequences, that they would be "wise" and listen to the words of Solomon in Proverbs chapters 1-6.

I have felt bombarded with people's poor choices the last few weeks, and the huge consequences of not believing God at His word. Not that anyone consciously says, "I think I will doubt God's goodness and forget His very nature, and do things my way because my way is better", but in essence that is exactly what I am saying when I don't BELIEVE that every single thing that touches my life has been ordained, nay- GIVEN by God for my growth, wellness, and His glory.

Watching so many people that you dearly love struggle with darkness and secrets is so sad. It is especially sad when you can see the glorious "light" that is all around them, but they can't. They have spent so many years cultivating their sin and poor choices, the road back to freedom and healthy life is hard and long. I am just as guilty, but by the grace of God, I am choosing not to carry those burdens anymore. I attached something at the bottom of this post that I read the other day that gave me hope. Hope for them, and hope for me- that though the work is hard, the sweat and tears are good and in the end, it will bring an awesome "paycheck". Let's all change a few of our human plans around and make them God's plans, and see what he will do. If that means staying in a tough marriage because God hates divorce, being a better steward of your blessings, quitting drugs and alcohol, putting other's needs before our own- so be it! And we will do it with a smile on our faces. :)Can you imagine what God would do if we would just kick our sins to the curb and make room for GOD's plans?

"Be strong!
We are not here to play, to dream. to drift,
We have hard work to do, and loads to lift.
Shun not the struggle; face it.
It's God's gift.

Be strong!
Say not the days are evil- Who's to blame?
Or fold your hands, as in defeat- O shame!
Stand out, speak up, and bravely,
In God's name.

Be strong! It matters not how deep entrenched the wrong,
How hard the battle goes, the day how long,
Faint not, fight on!
Tomorrow comes the song."
Maltbie D. Babcock

(I have decided my favorite annual is going to be the petunia. Not because it is anything so special or unique, but because it is faithful. It is faithful to bloom every day, to grow bigger and more beautiful, and to put a smile on my face. I will always have petunias in my garden.)

No comments: