Monday, May 18, 2009

Remember the good things!


(Jordan was "bored" on Saturday because he couldn't hang with friends. Does he look "bored" to you? Sitting in the sun, reading great books- that's the life!)

What a great weekend! There is something about the sun coming out and the air being warm that brings out smiles and happiness for even the grumpiest people. I love it! We did nothing but spend time together and enjoy the beautiful sunshine. The kids laughed and played with friends, and it was the best reminder of the good things about living in town. In addition, Steve had a job interview on Sunday, and he is pretty certain he got it. The sermon on Sunday was a killer, but I know God is going to use it for great things- so what more could I want in a weekend?

It was interesting that right when I was thinking about how important it is to remember everything- good and bad, Jasmine asked me something that struck my heart. She was feeling really down last Thursday because she does free babysitting for people, and she had been donating hours of her time every week for awhile- and this particular mom rarely compliments her on a job well done, but always brings up any mistakes she might have made. I thought about that comment, thinking it was simply Jazz's pespective, but as I did, I realized she is right. The only time this mom mentions the favor is to say Jazz ate too many of their snacks, or didn't do whatever. I hadn't realized it before- but poor Jasmine was so sad! Crying and feeling like a loser. She said, "I have tried so hard to do my best with the kids (they are extremely difficult kids) and no one remembers all my efforts- just the ONE TIME I mess up. Why is it even worth it??" Oh, mothers- you can feel how that makes your heart break for your child! We talked and talked, and she eventually realized that her motives were pure, and it wasn't her fault if this person doesn't appreciate it. She is doing it for Jesus and He thinks she rocks. But it got me thinking- how often do I do the same thing to this poor kid? Not notice the days and days of perfect work from her, but the minute there's a wet towel left in the bathroom I bring it to her attention! How ridiculous! I want to remember and praise all that she is and does right- now and forever. I have great kids who try really hard, and I don't think I tell them often enough. Maybe forget some of the "bad" is a good thing!

I am going to get my kiddos ready for school- and tell them how fantastic they really are. I hope you do the same, friend! God bless you today!
"Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him."
Hebrews 11:6

(I couldn't get a decent picture of these two because they were cracking up so bad- oh well! :)

No comments: